Saturday, April 21, 2012

About to step into WOW, a few questions first.

Im a hardcore console gamer, but I think its time for a MMO. I want to start playing WOW but Im a bit timid. Ill list a few questions below, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

1. Do I need to buy Crusade, Lynch King and Cataclysm or just the regular WOW? Are the other three basically DLC? Im not not sure about how that all works.

2. When I start at lvl 1 does the game gradually tell the story of Azeroth and everything in it, or should I read up on it before I start? If so what should I read.

I tried typing "the story of world of warcraft" in youtube and all I got were funny parodies lol.

3. I have a pretty good gaming headset that will work on a PC. Will I be able to talk to others via the headset, or is it all text?

I really do appreciate the time you took to read the above, any help would be great. Also any other tips or advice for someone just starting out in WOW would awesome, thanks.|||If you look around these forums many of your questions have already been answered.

1) http://wow.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427948

2) Sorry cant answer that one, but since the cata update there is more flow and story behind quests especially in the starter zones.

3) http://wow.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427900|||1. I'd start with this thread to answer your question:

http://wow.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426765

The short answer is, you can start with the Battle Chest (which is the original game plus the Burning Crusade expansion) and the only big thing you will be missing up to level 70 is the ability to play a Worgen or Goblin.

2. The quests tell part of the story. They tell enough to keep you involved in the plot, but there is a lot more story out there if you want it. Wowpedia's lore section has a lot of information. There are also several fiction books that cover lore that you should be able to find on Blizzard's website.

3. There is an ingame voice chat function. It's decent enough, but most people don't use it. It's decent enough, although the setup can be a bit touchy. It also has some limitations (like you have to be logged in to the game to use it.) Most people use a third party program like Ventrilo for voice chat.

There is a lot of text involved as well, with lots of active chat channels to type in.|||On (2):

There are books available and you can look at websites like Wowpedia to learn more about Warcraft lore.

But you can just start playing and gradually learn more. That's what I did, and now and then I read stuff that I want to know more about.|||Just remember when you are in combat,

Type: Up up, down down, left right, left right, select, start.



/joke

Joke aside you will run across alot of Easter eggs in the game, in places you don't expect.|||You all forgot to mention one important little detail:

When you start a new character you get a short intro to the race, with a little background and how current affairs are.|||I figured that some of this stuff had to be answered in other threads, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.|||You don't NEED to know the story or pay attention to the lore to enjoy the game, although many people do find this enjoyable. I've been playing this game for six years and loving it, even though I've never been much into the lore. I couldn't tell you much about the main characters or history or storylines.

However, reading quest test is not only educational but fun, since many of the quests are quite humorous.

...Ren

No comments:

Post a Comment