Saturday, April 21, 2012

needwowgold?

The business of gold trading and other types of Real Money Trading (RMT) are often frowned upon by both game developers and the player base. The idea is that gold selling would hurt the server economy and players don't have to earn the gold. This, however, is not the case.



Currently, the money sinks in this game are much more costly than anyone can make through leveling. It will cost a new player 7,500 gold to be able to ride all of their mounts. Many players, especially those who are casual, might never even get enough gold to get their epic flyer. How can you expect someone who only plays a few hours each week to spend them all doing dailies?



The server economies would be HELPED by gold trading. One of the biggest things that have happened in Wrath of the Lich King is the rise of undercutting on the Auction House. This drops many items well below what they are normally worth. For example, on a Saturday at prime time, a Scarlet Ruby might be selling for 55 gold. On a weekday early in the afternoon, the same exact item might be selling for 95 gold. This is because players often choose to undercut by large amounts in order to have their items sell fast. This devalues the work of every profession, making it harder to make gold. On smaller servers, this would have a larger effect than on the high population servers. The prices on these low population servers are normally rock bottom because it can be hard to find someone willing to buy the item. Gold trading would revitalize the low server population economies. On high population servers, the gold pool is so large that the effect would be small. The inflation would probably be offset by the amount of people who are now able to get their epic flying mounts, which would allow them to farm more effectively. This is good however, as instead of prices being low to undercutting, they will be driven by actual supply and demand.



Gold trading is fun for those involved. Those who have bought gold know how much more fun you can have by buying gold. You get to spend your time doing what you enjoy. Daily Quest areas will still be very popular, due to the fact that they reward more than just gold. The Argent Tournament gives seals for gear and pets, and the Sons of Hodir quests give rep that is used for shoulder enchants and a mammoth mount. Maybe you despise dailies and farming for materials for professions, but you absolutely love raiding. Currently, you have to do one of these things in order to supply yourself enchants, gems, and the gold for repair bills. Most guilds won't allow you to raid unless you optimize all of those, which leaves players out in the cold and sometimes causes them to quit because they're forced to do something that they don't want to do.



The other thing to keep in mind is that if Blizzard made gold trading legal and created a forum to discuss which site were actually legitimate, the number of people being disturbed by ads would drop dramatically.

*spammy link deleted*|||need a quick swift ban? You've come to the right place :)|||I would rip your flawed arguments apart one by one, but unfortunately, due to our forum rules, I'd have to do that while banning your behind to infinity and beyond. So I'll just say that gold trading does ruin the economy, for one simple reason: gold is supposed to be hard to come by.

I am a casual player myself, and you are right in one aspect: I won't spend my valuable game time doing dailies. I might never get an epic flyer, but I don't care, I'm a casual player. I play the AH, I don't spend money on silly stuff, and actually I am doing fine enough with the gold I do earn. And I have earned it, I didn't just use my credit card to come by it.

Personally I would never feel that I accomplished anything when I'm flying through the game on some dragon I bought with real life money.

But above all, it's against the ToS and therefore against our forum rules. So good riddance, go try your business somewhere else now.

EDIT: By the way, glad to see you people using original arguments for once. Oh, wait...|||Buying gold is like using Game Genie in the 8-16 bit console days. It saps any sense of accomplishment you might have had beating the game yourself without the cheats. The only difference is, when you finished the game, those same Game Genie codes would offer some fun replay value since you already accomplished beating the game. WoW really never "ends" thus you'll always feel the sense of having cheated yourself of something if you go this route.|||That, and Blizzard will ban you for doing it.|||in a minute, i will prove that 7500 gold argument to be false.

(max cost/min cost)

apprentice = 4/3.2

journeyman = 50/40

expert (flying) = 250/200

cold weather = 500/400

flight master's license = 250/200

ground mount = 1

flyer = 50/40

I'm assuming faction discounts are unlikely at level 20 ;)

max cost, if you don't have any rep points, which is highly unlikely=1105

min cost= 884g 20s

so yeah.|||I made about 4000g the last week simply by leveling from 80 to 84 (well, still 20% to go to 85). No dungeons, just questing and selling stuff I don't need at the AH.|||Quote:








max cost, if you don't have any rep points, which is highly unlikely=1105

min cost= 884g 20s




I think you forget the epic and the faster epic flying there|||Yeah.....you left off 280% flying (5,000g) and 310% flying ($5,000g). That kinda alters your final figure a bit.|||i deliberately left them out. They are completely optional. Just plain being able to fly is so much more useful than being able to fly faster. I've heard more than one person say that the 310% vs. 280% wasn't really worth the extra 4k.

Yeah, epic flying is great, I have it on one toon. Do I want it so bad on the rest that I feel a need to buy gold? Not nearly. Do I even want it so bad that I'm going to grind away at a bunch of unfun things in the game purely for the gold? Not nearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment